Sprouting a Family

Monday, June 21, 2010

Hold Your Head Up High


Dear Sprout,


You are almost two months old now! You amaze me with all of the new things that you can do. Your little pursed lips can break into a bigger-than-life grin, you are now fluent in baby language, and you can hold your little head up for an extended period of time. I can’t believe that I am folding up and storing tiny clothes that you have outgrown already. My “little sunshine” is growing faster that I would have ever imagined.


I love sitting you up on my lap and watching you hold up your little head with a perplexed look of accomplishment on your itty-bitty face. I imagine that you are thinking, “I am a big man. I can hold up my head just like daddy. Me and him are like two peas in a pod.” Afterwards, I place your tummy against my chest and enjoy holding you in my arms. You continue to hold up your head as long as you can. Whenever the need arises, you rest your little head against my cheek. Bliss.


I once was with your daddy when he had to have a difficult discussion with someone else. Sadly, the person that he was talking to said a lot bad things using bad words. Many men would have responded to such a situation by acting just like the antagonist. However, your daddy did not. He said everything that he needed to say in a very gentlemanly manner. I was very sad that your daddy had to be in that position to begin with – but I was so proud that he acted with dignity and integrity despite the circumstances. He held his head up high.


Sadly, when you get older you will have your feelings hurt. There will be people who disappoint you with their words and their actions. I am sure that there will be instances where you will want to respond in a similar fashion. You may even want to hurt, embarrass, and humiliate such people so they can know what it feels like. Do not. Clean aptly chosen words are far more powerful than impromptu obscenities. Acting in a self-respecting manner even when in difficult conditions will have more of an impact than you can ever imagine.


Right now you do not have to worry about such things. You are too little to understand unkind words. However, it is my prayer that Mommy and Daddy will teach you the correct way to respond by example. As you grow, we will help you as much as we can when you do not know what to do. We expect that when you are old enough to act on your own that you will keep your head held high. Never forget that you are to be a light in the world. God will give you direction and guidance … and mommy will have a cheek for you to lean your precious little head on whenever the need arises.


Love always,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment