Sprouting a Family

Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Change in Perspective

Dear Sprout,

Yesterday, as I was rocking you back and forth, your daddy and I had a little discussion with you. The most important thing that we told you was that you would always be our little baby -- even when you are 93! Yes, no matter how big you get and no matter how many birthday candles you blow out, you will always be our child. As long as we are on this Earth, we will be praying for you, teaching you, protecting you, and loving you with the kind of love that you will understand when you become a daddy some day. And, when we are in heaven, we will look down and smile at the wonderful old man that is still our little boy.

As I ponder all of these things in my mind, I cannot help but think about the people around me. Most obviously when I see a child, I think about how precious that little one is and how I love you. However, this train of thought is no longer limited to youth. It applies to older people as well ... even people who are much older than I am. For example, if you get a cold, I obviously will do my best to take care of you -- my baby. When you are an old man, and you get a cold, I still want you to be taken care of. Now, even when I see someone who is older who needs something, my heart reminds me that he or she is still someone's child ... "Anna, take care of that precious person." Since I gave birth to you, my perspective on humanity has changed.

Thank you for giving me a mother's heart.

Love always,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment