Sprouting a Family

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Love Letter











Dear Sprout,

I remember praying when I was a small child. My prayers were simple and usually sounded something like this, "God bless Mommy. God bless Daddy. God bless Nikki..." (I was so young, Aunt Becky wasn't even born yet!) However, I also remember praying for something else, and that was you. To the best of my memory, the first thing I ever asked God for was to be a mommy someday. You are the answer to a life-long prayer. I cannot tell you how my heart feels right now -- my words are incapable of expressing this.

From the moment I knew that I was pregnant, I had an intense love for you. It was not a gradual love, it was strong and instant. When I was six weeks pregnant, I had my very first ultrasound. You looked like the most beautiful grain of rice I had ever seen! As I was staring at you, the technician turned on the sound. I heard a strong heartbeat. I asked, "Is that my heartbeat?" She answered, "No. That is your baby's heartbeat." I was amazed that my little rice-baby could have such a powerful heart. I was awe-stricken and so was your daddy.

I have watched you grow for 40 weeks now. Thanks to technology, I have seen you develop from a grain of rice to a bean-shaped hurricane, from a two-inch baby to an infant with a fuzzy head. Soon, an ultrasound machine will no longer be needed. I will be able to see you with my eyes, touch you with my fingers, smell you with my nose, and kiss your little face with my lips. As I am writing this, my eyes are tearing up. However, I know that the actual experience will be beyond my imagination.

Sprout, your daddy and I promise to love you our entire lives. We will pray for you and thank God for you every single day. We will do our very bests to raise you and we will seek God's guidance before we make decisions. You will be an integral part of our lives. We are going to rock you to sleep, sing you lullabies, and read you stores. We are going to take you to all sorts of places. We are going to teach you about music and art and writing. We will take you to church and teach you about our Savior -- your heavenly father. When you are older, we will take you on mission trips so you can teach others about your Savior, too. There will be times when we will fail you, but I promise you that we will always try our bests. God bless you, Sprout. You will be in our arms soon, but you are already seared in our hearts.

Love always,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment