Sprouting a Family

Monday, April 12, 2010

See and Celebrate


Dear Sprout,

This past December, your daddy turned 30. In order to celebrate his special day, I bought him a camera. I chose this gift because he loves photography and I knew that we could use it to take lots of pictures of you! Just a few weeks later, you and I gave him accessories to go with his camera for Christmas. I got him a tripod from Target and you got him a camera case made out of soy from Walmart! I must say Sprout, that was a pretty neat gift idea that you had!

You are going to love our house -- it reminds me of a cottage straight out of a fairytale. Although it is in a neighborhood, our little lot is filled with trees, bushes, and flowers. We have a dogwood tree, a Bradford pear tree, a plum tree, a cherry tree, tulips, and daffodils... A few weeks ago, our cherry tree was in all of her glory. Pale pink flowers covered her branches and limbs. Light breezes carried her petals and it looked as if we were having a beautiful, pink spring snow shower. Your daddy took pictures of our tree almost everyday after work.

Yesterday, as I stood on our porch and looked into our yard, I noticed that almost all of the pink blossoms had vanished. I expected them to be in scattered a circle at our tree's base, but they were not. There was no evidence that they had even existed. Now there are little green berries in their place. Although I am excited about seeing red cherries very soon, a part of me misses the flowers. Yes, they enjoyed a glorious reign, but it was very short indeed.

Sprout, you are getting ready to see amazing things. You will see brilliant fall leaves, graceful butterflies, powerful thunderstorms, and shooting stars. All of these are truly breathtaking, but all of them are also fleeting. Children seem to be better at recognizing the glory in things such as these -- but as we get older, we tend to overlook little miracles that are right in front of us. Photographs can remind us of what we have seen, but they cannot replace our first-hand experiences. Therefore, my little Sprout, be careful not to overlook even the smallest of splendors. When you skip stones, make sure to notice the resulting ripples. When you and Daddy walk through the woods, make sure to notice how squishy thick moss feels beneath your feet. If you ever find yourself in a place that seems to be bare and desolate, look closer and you will find a little something that will bring a smile to your face. Our world is a world of wonders -- don't miss a single one!


Love always,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment