Sprouting a Family

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

culinary expertise, please!




Three months from this coming Friday will be a very special day. Baby Sprout will be six months old and I, Anna, will become gourmet baby food maker extraordinaire! I am so excited! I have decided to purchase the Beaba Babycook to help me with this endeavor. This little machine steams, purees, and defrosts! It can do anything and it will pay for itself. I found an amazing website (http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/) that gives you age-appropriate recipes for your child and I want to try each and every one!


Andrew and I want our baby to eat nutritiously from the get-go. Furthermore, when Sprout graduates from baby food, we want him to continue to eat well. I don't want him to go from healthy meals to meals laced with preservatives. This means that I need to learn how to cook NOW. Yes, Andrew and I need to change our eating habits before we pass them on to our little guy.



When I was pregnant, I had an eye-opening experience. I decided I did not want to consume MSG; Little did I know that basically every pre-made food has MSG in it! Yes -- lots of soups, stuffings, and frozen meals are culprits! (Note: yeast extract is basically the same thing as MSG. I did some research on the subject) If I were president, one of the first things I would do would be to mandate every MSG containing food to have a warning on its label (this only second to making sure that every vehicle has a "How's My Driving" number on its back). Let's be realistic here ... I am not saying that I will never cook with preservatives, but I want such an occasion to be the exception rather than the rule.



I need help! Cooking is not my gift and it does not come naturally. I want some simple recipes that I can make for my family. If you are reading this, can you help me with my quest? Do you have a recipe for me?



It is only fair that I give you a recipe, too. This is a cobbler recipe from my culinary-gifted mother-in-law :-). I just made it (with blueberries) last night! It is super simple and fantastically delicious!



Fruit Cobbler

1. Heat your oven at 350 and melt a stick of butter in your dish (use a pie dish or an 8x8ish sized dish)
2. Mix together one cup of milk, one cup of flour, and one cup of sugar.
3. Pour flour mixture over melted butter. No mixing is necessary.
4. Pour fruit of choice on top of everything. Do not mix together.
5. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
6. Enjoy :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment