Sprouting a Family

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cookies and More

Andrew is out of town ... and Sprout and I decided that we would rather not have dinner alone. Where we would go was not even a question in our minds -- we would go to Grammy and Poppy's, of course! Every meal I have ever had there has been absolutely wonderful. Sometimes you just need something that is 100% homemade.



While Debbie was chopping the cabbage for the coleslaw, I spotted something with my eye. There, right in front of me, was a bag of milk chocolate chips. I walked up to the pantry closet, grabbed the bag and said, "Me and Richard were thinking that it might be nice to have some chocolate chip cookies." Even though Richard had not told me that, I knew that he would agree because the two of us share some brain cells. Debbie went on with her cooking -- she is used to this type of behavior. "Probably if make some cookies today, Richard and I would not ask again for awhile," I said nonchalantly. "I really have a hankering for some chocolate chip cookies," Richard agreed. "Well, if you want them, you can make them. Here is a recipe," Debbie responded. Yes! Today was going to end perfectly. Dinner, cookies, bedtime.



After we were finished with dinner, it was time to make the cookies. Debbie helped me get everything out first. As we pulled out the flour, baking powder, coconut, and brown sugar, I smiled at the collection of jars and bowls that held the ingredients. One day, when I keep staples in my house, I am going to keep them eclectic containers as well. I don't want to go out and buy jars, rather I want each container to have a story behind it. By doing that, every time I get my flour out, I will have a memory to go with it.



As I measured and mixed, I used my Julia Childs voice and pretended that I was filming a cooking show. I even put some flour on my cheek for an extra effect. Although I was having a lot of fun, I wished that Andrew was there with me. He would have been my cousin from France who would have voiced random cooking tips throughout my tutorial. All in all, I did a great job (Debbie helped to ensure that). I looked authentic, minus the mess I made on the counter. I can never keep a clean working area while cooking ... I try, but it just doesn't work out for me. However, despite the spilled flour, the end product was wonderful. The cookies were a success.

It's going to be so fun to bake cookies with Sprout one day. He's going to love cracking eggs and mixing batter and licking spoons. And yes, I am going to let him lick the spoon despite my tendency to be a bit of a neurotic mommy. We'll use cookbooks, family recipes, and we'll even invent our own culinary creations. We'll store our cookies in oval shaped tin cans that are housed on our bookshelf. That way, right before bedtime, we can grab a story and a cookie to ensure sweet dreams.

Island Cookies


1 2/3 cups of all-purpose flour 1 tsp. vanilla extract

3/4 tsp. of baking powder 1 egg

1/2 tsp. of baking soda 1 3/4 cups of milk chocolate chips

1/2 tsp. of salt 1 cup of flaked coconut

1 1/2 sticks of softened butter 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts

3/4 cup of brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar



Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract in a large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in egg. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels, coconut, and nuts. Drop by slightly rounded tablespoon onto greased baking sheets.



Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 11 minutes (we baked them for 8) or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Makes 3 dozen cookies.



Note: This is a Nestle Toll House recipe :-) Thanks guys and good job!

No comments:

Post a Comment