Sprouting a Family

Friday, January 21, 2011

5 Things I have Learned

Things I have learned since becoming a mama:

1. Never say never. I said I would never be induced -- I was. I said I wouldn't buy formula -- I did. I said I wouldn't nurse more than three months -- I am. I said I would not fly with an infant -- We flew to Florida and back. I said I would never bring my baby into bed -- oh well. I said I wouldn't work for baby's first year -- I am currently teaching first grade. I said I would not let my house get messy -- yeah right!

2. Do not judge other mamas. I have come to realize that motherhood does not come with a manual. No baby book, not even the ever-so-popular "What to Expect" series, can tell you exactly what you should do. Every baby is different. Every situation is different. And the truth is, we're all running around trying to do what's best because we love our babies so, so much. And this can be so, so hard because "best" does not come with a clearly marked label so we have to pick something out and give it a go and hope with our whole beings that we did the right thing.

3. Get stuff done when you can get it done. Seriously, what I did with all of my time before Sprout is a true mystery to me. What did I do? Did I just sit around? Now when I have a spare moment, I jump on the opportunity to complete a task because I don't know when my next chance will arise. I had a friend ask me the other day how I could get so much done with a little one. It's hard, but seriously, the kid has made me more time efficient than I have ever been before. It is my hope that by getting things done, I will ultimately have more quality, relaxing, loving time with my baby. Still, I always feel a bit behind ... but I think part of that is because I am a bit neurotic.

4. Appreciate your spouse. Honestly, for months I have been thinking about writing a post on how thankful, grateful, blessed, humbled, etc I am about having my Andrew! To sum it all up, I would not be me without him. I wouldn't be half the teacher, half the mother, half the woman I am without him. Truly, I cannot think of an accomplishment that I can claim as my own -- he has helped my reach my goals and dreams. He believes in me. He loves me. He prays for me. He tells me that I am beautiful and wonderful and perfect for him. He takes care of me and Sprout. I love that man forever times infinite and a million, squared.

5. Accept help. I now realize how much people need each other. There is so much ... and there is no way that I can do it all on my own. Sometimes I think about that Bible story with Moses ... and the battle ... and how he had to keep his hands raised if Israel was to prevail ... but his hands were so very tired and heavy ... his friends Aaron and Hur lifted his hands for him! So he could keep them raised. And Israel won! (Exodus 18:12 - So it came about when Moses held his hand up, that Israel prevailed, and when he let his hand down, Amalek prevailed. But Moses' hands were heavy. Then they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it; and Aaron and Hur supported his hands, one on one side and one on the other. Thus his hands were steady until the sun set.) Wow.

And now that I am done writing this post, and as I ponder right before laying my head down for the night, I can see a common thread that ties my list of five together. Pride. Being a mama has put me in my place, so to speak. I am not what I thought I would be. I do not have it all together, and I never did. Every accomplishment I have ever made strings along a million thank yous -- it is because of the help of others that I have been able to do anything. What a humbling nine months this has been. The most humbling, wonderful, and amazing nine months of my whole entire life.

No comments:

Post a Comment